Training & testing for paraeducators in SW Washington.
ETS ParaPro Assessment
With the implementation of our new online scheduling platform, ESD 112 now assesses a flat $75 dollar fee for the ParaPro Assessment.
- Card: either online as you schedule or the day of.
- Cash: exact change required on the day of.
- Check: made out to ESD 112 on the day of.
The test is given on a computer and consists of 90, multiple–choice questions- 30 each on:
- Language Arts
View the ETS Tutorial for more information.
Participants may NOT bring a calculator or notes.
Scratch paper and pencils will be provided.
You will be given 2.5 hours* to complete the test.
*Additional time may be granted for disability, health-related needs, and for English Language Learners. Please refer to the ParaPro Assessment Bulletin (PDF, ETS Website) on applying for additional accommodations.
Any current or prospective Para Professionals who do not currently have one of the following:
- Two years of study at an institution of higher education. The institution you choose must meet five criteria of the Higher Education Act, Section 101(a). All classes must be at level 100 or higher.
- Associate degree or higher. All associate degrees are acceptable.
- Washington paraeducator portfolio or apprenticeship program — completed previously. Those meeting the apprenticeship requirements must present a journeycard or certificate. The portfolio and apprenticeships are no longer offered for enrollment, however OSPI will continue to honor this pathway.
ParaPro Assessments at ESD 112 are scheduled by appointment Monday-Friday, at either 9:00am or 1:30pm.
Below are several resources you may use when preparing for the ParaPro Assessment.
Click Here for the ParaPro Assessment Tutorial (ETS Website)
Click Here for the ParaPro Study Companion (PDF, ETS Website)
You will receive your scores immediately upon finishing and exiting the test.
- Passing score for Washington State is 461.
- Passing score for Oregon is 455.
Upon passing the test the proctor at ESD 112 will print out two copies of your “unofficial” results. These will show your score, however they will be printed on normal copier paper. One copy will be for you to retain for your records, or to make additional copies as needed. The second copy is for you to turn in to whichever district needs to receive your results. ESD 112 will not send out your results to districts.
You will receive your official results directly from ETS via mail in 2-3 weeks.
Currently, ParaPro Assessment results never expire. However, results may no longer be available digitally after 9.5 years. Please be sure to retain a hard copy of your passing results on-hand, in case you need to refer to them later on.
you do not pass the ParaPro Assessment you may re-take the assessment as many times as needed. However please be aware of the following:
- You will need to pay the $75 assessment fee each time you take the assessment.
- ETS mandates a 21-day waiting period between attempts.
You can reschedule anytime, just be sure to count 21 days after your previous test. Select the “RETEST” option so we can be sure your 21-day minimum is met.
Paraeducator Online Training Courses
ESD 112 offers the SW Washington region introductory level training for competencies 1-6, 7-11, and 13. These competencies are required for paraeducators working in special education. Although beneficial for all paraeducators, they are not required for those in general education.
Please follow the link to register for the paraeducator online training courses.