Providing support and encouragement for first and second–year teachers.
Beginning Educator Support Team (BEST)
The purpose of the Beginning Educator Support Team program is to provide support and encouragement for first and second-year teachers in order to strengthen their instructional skills and retain competent teachers in the profession.
New teachers are matched with a trained mentor who visits and supports them in the classroom. Release time is provided for mentees and mentors.
Professional development is focused on knowledge and skills for effective teaching and communicating learning. Mentors have opportunities to participate in OSPI mentor training and regional mentor roundtables. Clock hours are offered for all time spent in professional development.
The ESD 112 BEST program provides:
- Resources, coaching, and professional learning opportunities to enhance comprehensive learning systems that foster equitable systems for all learners
- Support, encouragement, and mentoring for first and second-year teachers in order to strengthen their instructional skills and retain competent teachers in the profession
- Release time for mentees and mentors to observe each other
- Teacher stipends for first-years, second-years, and mentors of first-year teachers to support time for learning conversations outside the typical contract day
How it Works
How BEST Works
First-year teachers from participating consortium districts are to complete the Letter of Agreement and compensation packet to be eligible for a stipend. Additional information about requirements to receive the stipend will be sent to participating Year 1 teachers. Please contact Karen Solberg with questions regarding compensation paperwork.
Second-Year Teachers and Mentors
Second-year teachers and mentors should contact Karen Solberg for compensation paperwork specific to your district’s program.
- Available for all participants
- Focuses on knowledge and skills for effective equitable teaching practices
- No cost
- Clock hours offered
BEST Professional Development Support
This year, the BEST grant provides opportunities for mentors and mentees to meet together in Professional Growth Planning (PGP) sessions and self-evaluate the mentee’s strengths and areas of focus, learn about the Professional Certification Standards and New Teacher Evaluation Criteria, plan professional development opportunities, and network with others around problems of practice.
As part of the mentees’ professional learning, the grant expects mentees to complete a professional growth plan. Mentees are welcome to use templates their district provides or use one provided by BEST and complete the plan on their own or with support from their mentor. The PGPs do not need to be submitted to BEST, but mentees will be expected to complete a reflection on their PGPs at the end of the program before receiving their stipend.
New mentors are required to attend Mentor Academy 101: Instructional Mentoring Tools and Skills for Teacher and Student Growth
- Required for new mentors
- Develop skills to serve in mentoring and coaching roles
Returning mentors are required to attend Mentor Academy 201: Taking it Further Mentoring for Growth and Equity
- Required annually for previously trained mentors
- Refine mentoring skills, building capacity to engage in conversations around equity, and deepening awareness of equitable classroom practices
Research on professional development indicates that in order to be effective, it must be ongoing. Mentor roundtables provide a regularly scheduled opportunity for mentors to meet with colleagues to share ideas and challenges, practice skill, and to address role-alike issues and concerns.
ESD 112 roundtables will be facilitated by Brian Hanson.
Battle Ground roundtables will be facilitated by Jen Havig.
Time and Locations:
Tuesday’s at ESD 112, 2500 NE 65th Avenue, Vancouver, WA 98661
- September 17, 2019
- October 22, 2019
- November 19, 2019
- January 21, 2020
- February 18, 2020
- March 24, 2020
- May 19, 2020
- June 9, 2020
Wendesday sessions will be at the Battle Ground Lewisville Campus, C-20, 406 NW 5th Ave, Battle Ground, WA 98604
- Spetember 18, 2019
- October 16, 2019
- November 13, 2019
- January 15, 2020
- February 12, 2020
- April 15, 202
- May 13, 2020
Register for one, attend any at https://www.pdenroller.org/esd112/Catalog/Event/97068
Clock hours available
Vancouver Area Mentor Academies
Mentor Academy 101 – Day 3
Participants must attend day 3 at least 6 weeks after days 1-2.
October 5, 2019
Mentor Academy 101
Mentor Academy 201
April 2020 – Final date coming soon!
Registration link coming soon!
Mentor Academy 301
February 5 2020
Registration link coming soon!
- Professional Growth Plan template
- Elementary School Examples
- Middle School Example
- High School Example
- Y 1 Agreement 2019-20
- Y1 Checklist – For a copy of comenstation paperwork please contact Karen Solberg at email@example.com
- Year 2 Agreement 2019-20
- Y2 Checklist – For a copy of comenstation paperwork please contact Karen Solberg at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2019-2020 Teacher Counts
- BEST Flyer 2019-20
- Early FAQs BEST 2019-20
- FAQ – Does this teacher qualify
- Vancouver Roundtables 2019-20
- Battle Ground Roundtables 2019-20
Professional Certification Links
For more information about professional certification and the ProTeach Portfolio go to:
OSPI Resources for Beginning Teachers and Mentors
FAQ about the BEST Program
Each district has identified a key contact for the BEST grant. They are responsible for getting information out to building principals.
District key contacts:
- Battle Ground: David Kennedy
- Castle Rock: Doris Ellison
- ESD 112 ESA Specialized Student Services: Jeffrey Niess
- Hockinson: Colleen Anders
- Kalama: Billina Dolezal
- Kelso: Kim Yore, Lacey DeWeert, or Kelsey Thompson
- La Center: Lauri Landerholm
- Longview: Scott Firth or Kiz Schumann
- Naselle-Grays: Quinn Donlon
- Ridgefield: Chris Griffith, Deb Ortner, or Paul Hamann
- Skamania: Ralph Pruitt
- Stevnson-Carson: Karen Douglass
- Wahkiakum: Brent Freeman or Stephanie Leitz
- Washougal: Marian Young or Wendy Morrill
- Woodland: Asha Riley or Malinda Huddleston
- WSSB: Sean McCormick