FREE Preschool for Eligible Families.
What is ECEAP?
What is ECEAP?
The Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP) is a comprehensive preschool program that provides free services and support to eligible children and their families. Funded by Washington State, ECEAP helps children and families get ready for kindergarten and is free to enrolled families. It serves three and four year- olds from low income families, and children with developmental or environmental risk factors that could interfere with school success.
Compared to similar children who do not attend, children in programs like ECEAP are:
- Healthier when they start kindergarten.
- More likely to graduate from high school and go onto college.
- More likely to be employed and to earn more as an adult.
- Less likely to be in special education or repeat a grade in school.
- Less likely to become pregnant as a teen or become involved in a crime
The ECEAP Program
The ECEAP Program
ECEAP includes preschool education, health services coordination, and family support services. Children who participate in the program learn to manage their feelings, get along with others and follow classroom routines. They build the beginning skills for reading, math and science. The program works closely with parents to support their children’s health and education and to meet family goals. ECEAP also helps families access medical and dental care and social services.
The program includes:
- Preschool instruction [September – May]
- Developmental screenings and referrals
- Nutritious meals and snacks
- Health and dental screenings
- Home Visits
- Parent Leadership Opportunities
- Family Events
- Kindergarten Readiness Activities
- Transportation provided in some service areas
Children are accepted into ECEAP based on their age, family income, and other developmental or environmental risk factors.
Serving the Following School Districts
- Battle Ground Public Schools
- Evergreen Public Schools
- Hockinson School District
- Vancouver Public Schools
- Washougal School District<
- Woodland School District
ECEAP Program Benefits
The ECEAP preschool experience builds on children’s strengths and interests while helping prepare them for school. With ECEAP, children discover:
- How to make friends by sharing, taking turns, and solving problems
- How to be part of a group by following routines and directions
- What interests them and to be excited about learning
- Foundational academic concepts in the areas of reading, math and science
Parents are their children’s first and most important teachers. ECEAP staff work closely with families to maximize children’s brain development and growth. In the program, families:
- Identify their strengths and set goals
- Plan family nights with staff support
- Develop leadership skills
- Develop relationships with other families with young children
In order for children to be ready for Kindergarten, they need to be healthy. While in ECEAP, children:
- Have their hearing and vision checked
- Participate in a developmental screening
- Eat a variety of nutritious meals and snacks
- Play outdoors
“Before she started this program, she was counting up to 5. Now, she can count up to 20 – a huge improvement. I know she will be ok on her first day of kindergarten because of this early education program.”
Request Additional Information
Child must be 3 or 4 years of age as of August 31st of the school year. Children cannot be enrolled in Head Start and ECEAP at the same time. Click the button below to find out if you qualify.