Enhance your knowledge in the student transportation industry.
CWU Pupil Transportation Management Training Program
In 1989, a team of practicing transportation managers who felt a need for professional development developed the Pupil Transportation Management Training Program. This program is a joint venture of the Washington Association for Pupil Transportation, Central Washington University, and the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
How will the Pupil Transportation Manager Certificate help you?
- The certificate can become a permanent document of your personnel file
- It will be useful for informing present or future employers of your professional preparation
- The credit coursework may be beneficial for salary purposes
The program consists of two sections: The Transportation Core and the Professional Skills Electives. Completion of the two sections will lead to a non-state licensed graduation certificate. The Transportation Core consists of three 30-hour courses offered in July at Central Washington University with a term project and presentation due at a follow-up meeting in October. These classes will be specific to the needs of the school transportation team and will be offered with the option of obtaining three credits from CWU. Participants do not need to be pursuing the full graduate certificate program to take part in the summer core courses. A certificate of completion will be given upon successful completion of each of the three required levels. The Professional Skills Electives are generic courses offered by community colleges, universities and, in some cases accredited staff development programs. Program participants complete electives at their own rate during the academic year. Previous credit coursework may be applied, and online coursework offered by accredited institutions may also apply.
The program makes use of college credit coursework to maximize the potential of applicability to a college degree program.
How to Register
Course Entry Requirements
Entry into the Pupil Transportation Management Training Program will involve the following procedures:
- Completion of Student Data Sheet (please contact Dan Payne to obtain the form)
- A letter of application will be required from each person seeking entry into the program, this letter needs to address the following topics:
- Why the applicant is interested in participating in the program?
- What are the applicant’s short-range and long-range career goals?
- One or more letters of recommendation from persons knowledgeable about the applicant’s professional qualifications. The letter(s) should indicate how the applicant would benefit from the Pupil Transportation Management Training Program.
- Receipt of the applicant’s data sheet, letter of application and the letter(s) of recommendation will result in the formation of an applicant file and its submittal to the Pupil Transportation Management Training Program Steering Committee for review and action.
- Approval by the Pupil Transportation Management Training Program Steering Committee will result in the applicant being placed on an acceptance list. Qualified applicants registration packets will be mailed out during the first week of April.
- The registration form and deadline will be included in the packet. Registration fee must be paid in full by the last Friday in June. Participants wishing to take the course for three credits per year from Central Washington University must also pay optional tuition fees. A late fee will be applied to the registration if payment or a purchase order has not been received by the deadline of June 30, 2018.
- Included with the registration packet will be additional information on room & board, maps, activities, and miscellaneous information.
- Complete instructions and the Student Data Sheet.
OSPI—Student Transportation (OSPI)
State Student Transportation Directory
Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL)
Washington Association for Pupil Transportation (WAPT)
School Bus Driver Qualifications – RCW 392.144
National Congress for School Bus Transportation (NCSBT)
National Association of Pupil Transportation (NAPT)
American School Bus Council (ASBC)
School Bus Information Clearing House (SBICH)